13 May 2010

Musical Signatures

Here are the signatures of several (though by no means an exhaustive list of) great classical composers, presented in reverse chronological order. Please comment with omissions and I will try to add any requests to this collection.



  • John Cage

  • George Gershwin

  • Sergei Prokofiev

  • Igor Stravinsky

  • Béla Bartók

  • Maurice Ravel

  • Gustav Holst

  • Arnold Schoenberg

  • Sergei Rachmaninoff

  • Erik Satie

  • Jean Sibelius

  • Richard Strauss

  • Claude Debussy

  • Gustav Mahler

  • Pyotr Tchaikovsky

  • Johannes Brahms

  • Richard Wagner


  • Franz Liszt

  • Robert Schumann

  • Frédéric Chopin

  • Hector Berlioz

  • Ludwig van Beethoven

  • Wolfgang Mozart

  • Joseph Haydn

  • George Handel

  • J. S. Bach

  • Antonio Vivaldi

  • Johann Pachelbel

4 comments:

Tyler said...

Franz Liszt, Arnold Schoenberg, Johannes Brahms.

Tyler said...

also: Gustav Holst, Richard Strauss.

I am trusting the page that contains the two above signatures for confirming their validity, though I know nothing about it.

You might be able to find better versions of all five signatures elsewhere.

Tyler said...

And yes, I realize you might not consider Holst to be a great composer (I'm not a big fan of his myself), but the others are clearly great, I think.

the curator said...

Liszt is the most obvious omission, and I left him out because I don't really like the shadows under the signatures at classical.net, although I did use their image for Debussy. I will use the Strauss and Holst images you included, and I'll look a bit harder for better versions of the other three. If I can't find others I suppose I'll swallow my pride and use the shadowy ones.