30 November 2008

What is the difference?


Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi




To which groups are our identities opposed? Who do we place outside of ourselves so that we may draw a boundary around ourselves and know that boundary to be safe? There is no mystery in ourselves; we know what we are not. I know what I am not--I am not you. At least I am not you. There are five castes.

There are five senses. Everything you perceive must come through one of these or it is a fantasy. There are seven colors in the rainbow. A wave of light stretches from red to violet in six violent jerks as if it is falling down the stairs.




An evicted Roma family (Budapest, 2000)

- Tell me more about the village where your grandmother lives.
- It is a very nice village, 120 kilometers from here. There is a lake on the edge of a forest.
- How many people live there?
- It is a small village, 3,000 people. And no gypsies!




I have been thinking ...
I have been thinking of the difference between water
and the waves on it. Rising,
water's still water, falling back,
it is water, will you give me a hint
how to tell them apart?

Because someone has made up the word
"wave," do I have to distinguish it
from water?

There is a Secret One inside us;
the planets in all the galaxies
pass through his hands like beads.

That is a string of beads one should look at with luminous eyes.

-Kabir, 13th Century

No comments: